Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Intro.

I spent my high school years in a suburb west of Chicago.
I ventured to Hawaii for college.
Then to Salt Lake City.
Then to Rexburg, Idaho.
Then to Los Angeles.
Then to Provo, Utah.

I promised myself before I graduated high school that I would never live in Utah.
I was born into a Mormon family and spent my entire life in 10 different states, none of which were The Beehive State.



I didn't want to live in Utah because I grew up in the Beery family.
We are "don't take crap off of anyone" people.
We go out to Asian restaurants on the regular, occasionally on Sundays.
We grew up being superstars of our club sports teams.
We slip a swear word or two into jokes said around the dinner table.
We wear short shorts and tank tops to the gym.
We are money-minded business people.

In my mind, Utah meant:
Women that don't want anything in life other than 8 kids.
The entire state shuts down on Sundays.
Choir nerds.
"Fetch" "dagnabbit" "shiz".
Flared capris and over-sized girls camp t-shirts.
Hair school students.
Normal (common known names) misspelled or "tweaked" in someway or another.
-----> examples: McKynnaleigh, Briyenna, Heavynn, Cambree, Jakab, Tysenn, Braedin
Girls that go to Provo and get engaged after dating a guy for 3 months.


It's amazing how relatively accurate I was in my third-party assessment.
I did go to Provo and get married; but I'm definitely not part of the 3 month stereotype.
Because I only dated my husband for 7 weeks before we got engaged.

So, why do I love it here?
Stay tuned, my friends.
In short, this blog will be about my Midwestern attitude adjusting to life in Happy Valley.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment